Can You Smoke Kratom?
Kratom is a plant with some stimulatory effects. The plant is native to South East Asia notably in Papua, New Guinea, and Malaysia. Locals have used it for a long time, for therapeutic and relaxing effects. Over the years, the use of Kratom has spread far and wide to Europe and the United States of America. The plant is mostly used for its opioid properties that have a relaxing effect on the user when infused in drinks as a stimulant.
In this article, you will learn more about Kratom and its usage. Often, many people question, “can you smoke Kratom?” The good news is that this discussion will answer most if not all your questions related to Kratom smoking.
Can you smoke Kratom?
The various modes of consumption of Kratom are dependent on a person’s preference, how stimulated he or she wants to be or the mode available. One of the emerging methods that are gaining popularity is smoking.
The question on many Kratom consumers and advocate minds is; can you smoke Kratom? Yes, Kratom can be used, and it is the trend among many users today to smoke Kratom. Here, the consumer will smoke the dried leaves in the same way tobacco leaves are smoked.
The downside with smoking Kratom is the low threshold of the stimulation. One will need to smoke a considerable quantity of leaves to get the punch that a capsule would deliver. The stimulatory effects are not so pronounced, and for this, it is not a preferred mode of consumption. The debates are still about the matter, but that has not prevented the rampant growth of the smoking of the drug. But what are the main ways you can use to smoke Kratom? Let’s look at that:
Various methods of smoking Kratom
Smoking of Kratom is done in multiple ways applicable to the user. The natives of the South East regions preferred drying the leaves and smoking it in a custom pipe. Smoking has gained fame and is now a major consumption channel. Here are the various ways that Kratom is smoked.
1. Smoking of Crushed Leaves
This is the oldest manner of consuming Kratom by smoking. Good and healthy leaves of the plant are harvested then dried. Once dry enough, they are crushed to a very fine consistency. This state of the leaves will be either rolled in a rolling paper for a Kratom cigarette or put in a smoking pipe where it will be lit and inhaled.
Smoking the crushed leaves produces a lot of smoke that can be irritating at times but will nevertheless leave the consumer stimulated. The leaves should reach a certain level of drying for them to be efficient. Over-dried leaves will pack a very low threshold of stimulation and will not be as powerful as needed.
Some users may prefer to spike the crushed leaves with some tobacco leaves or pot for a heightened stimulatory sense. However, this is cautioned due to the severe side effects that it may bring.
Why should you smoke the crushed leaves?
Here are some of the advantages of consuming crushed Kratom leaves.
- It is a discreet way of consuming Kratom as the vapor is not that distinctive. This is beneficial in areas were consumption of this drug faces tough regulatory laws.
- It packs a low threshold of the stimulatory effects hence the user can check on his or her inebriation.
- It won’t have severe withdrawal effects.
- It can be used to wean you off Kratom addiction due to its low doses of stimulants.
- It is easy to acquire especially in the areas where the plant is indigenous.
2. Smoking the Powdered Form of Kratom
The powder form of this drug is mostly processed from the sap from the leaves and twigs which contains the psychoactive substance that is necessary for the stimulatory effects.
The powdered form can be fortified with some flavors to enhance the smoking experience as the fumes inhaled will be pleasant to the taste. Also, it is preferred as it is not that irritating to the eyes and the mucosal membranes of the mouth and nose.
It can be smoked after infusing with some tobacco leaves for a heightened effect or smoked in a smoking pipe. There is also a version of the powdered form that can be smoked with vaporizers. It can also be mixed with flavors and smoked like shisha on a shisha pot.
Why should you smoke powdered Kratom?
The advantages of smoking powdered Kratom are:
- The powdered form is very easy to store compared to the leaves.
- The powdered form has a longer shelf life.
- It is easy to use as it is already in its consumable form.
- Can be used in a variety of ways preferable to the user such as using a smoking pipe, a vape, or even using a shisha smoking pot.
- The powder is also measurable according to the dose the consumer is accustomed to.
It is good to note that the powder poses a problem of inhaling it which can cause serious respiratory problems. This also applies to the smoke that it produces. Besides, the powdered form is expensive.
Now, what are the benefits of smoking Kratom? Keep reading.
Therapeutic Benefits of Smoking Kratom
There are several benefits of smoking Kratom. Some of the most noticeable effects are mentioned below.
- It is a pain reliever – This is the main reason why many people prefer using Kratom because of its analgesic properties.
- It wards off anxiety and depression – No matter the type of anxiety you have, this plant will ensure you get the relaxation and relief. It staves off anxiety hence providing relief after a long day.
- Increased energy and alertness – You remain active all through the day as you stay vigilant in your activities, after Smoking Kratom. The stimulant property of the plant it is responsible for keeping one alert.
- To stop consuming other drugs especially opiates – Constant intake of kratom reduces the urge of using other harmful drugs such as opiate. For those recovering from such drugs, this can be a good drug to reduce addiction.
- Increased blood flow – Blood flow is essential in the functionality of an individual and smoking Kratom will ensure an efficient blood flow in your body.
- Deals with Hypertension – This has become a very popular occurrence in many millennials. This drug can deal effectively with high blood pressure and give you the stability you need.
- Helps in addressing diabetes – There has been a major rise of the risk of diabetic in our current world. Kratom gives you a chance to recover fast by reducing the chances.
- Enhance weight loss – It reduces muscle mass and body weight. Therefore, it’s of great help to the obese by reducing appetite.
The drawback of Smoking Kratom
- It can put you at risk of contracting respiratory diseases such as pneumonia or bronchitis due to the high amount of smoke produced or the airborne impurities it gives off.
- Authorities can easily trace one in territories where its consumption is banned.
- The stimulatory effect is of a very low threshold.
- It may cause lung cancer and other respiratory diseases.
These are the various ways in which Kratom can be used to obtain several effects to the user. Most of these effects are said to be therapeutic, but some authorities are skeptical about this due to lack of evidence supporting this claim. Let’s take a quick glimpse at the effects of taking Kratom.
Common side effects of smoking Kratom
According to various studies conducted on this plant, Kratom doesn’t have some sedative effects that are common in opiates. The dominant effects are stimulating and relaxing feel. Nevertheless, the side effects of taking Kratom are very much related to the ones of opiates. They include:
- Increased urination
- Decreased appetite and sleeping for a longer period
- Agitation and mood swings
In the case of smoking Kratom, respiratory disease is not counted out same as to oral problems which are also present in direct ingestion.
The side effects are mostly due to long periods of use. Using it in large doses translates the effects from being stimulatory to opioid which may have severe effects like:
- Weight loss
- Darkened skin
- Dry mouth
These effects are more pronounced if one uses it with other drugs. So take moderately.
What are the withdrawal effects of smoking Kratom?
If you have been using any drug and you are used to it, the moment you try to stop it, you will have withdrawal effects. This can be very chronic depending on how dependent you were with the drug. Kratom is not an exception; you will have the following withdrawal effects:
- A runny nose
- Muscle aches
- Joint pains
- Mood swings
Having known the benefits and the side effects of this drug, who should smoke Kratom anyway? Well, let’s briefly look into this.
Who should smoke Kratom?
This drug should be smoked by:
- A person who has tested all the other alternatives and found them inadequate.
- A user who is suffering from chronic disease – it will help him, or her alleviate pain.
- A person who is recovering and quitting from other hard drugs like opium. Nevertheless, such a person should try to avoid the drug completely.
Can you smoke Kratom? Yes, definitely. However, be careful which method you choose in consuming this drug that will not have adverse effects. Kratom has a high concentration of tar than cigs hence those chemicals may be very harmful to your lungs. That’s why smoking this drug may lead to lung cancer, brain malfunctioning, and other respiratory diseases.